Household Substances Can Be Dangerous Not Only to Your Pet, But Also to Your Relationship

The entertaining chronicles of life as a veterinarian

It was several years ago but I remember that night well.  It was 3 AM on a Saturday morning when I was handed a chart for a three-year-old snorting Bulldog name Bennie that was having problems eating and holding down his chow. The confident rascal was known to eat garbage and the owners, a young bickering couple, reported that he had been left unattended the night before and had made a mess of the apartment.Cute dog chewing slipper

The x-ray showed something large in his stomach displacing food that in all probability was not going to pass. I showed the couple the x-rays and recommended removal through the use of an endoscopic camera. They couldn’t afford that so I told them that there was a small chance that if I made him vomit, I mean, really vomit, that the object may come out the way it came in. They agreed, so I administered the drug and waited.

The wrenching was magnificent and the mysterious object flung from his mouth and splattered on the treatment floor. I was victorious and psyched that the problem was solved within their budget. I put on a glove and picked up the brown covered culprit. I washed it off and saw the word “TRUE” amongst other garbage. I then pieced together panties with the words “TRUE LOVE.” I put them in a zip lock bag and walked in the exam room to show the worried owners physical evidence that their beloved Bennie was going to be okay. The owners examined the bag.

She slapped him.

I mean, really slapped him and walked out of the exam room, slamming the door behind her.  It took me 10 seconds to comprehend what just happened.

I just outed him as a cheater.

Surprisingly he didn’t follow her. He sheepishly asked if he could have Bennie back and where he could pay.

Serves him right.

Dr. Laci

online vet, ask a vet, funny vet stories


Check out some related blog posts...

  • Dog ate chocolate – how much chocolate is dangerous?
    Below is an example question and answer from a concerned pet parent whose dog ate chocolate. If your dog ate chocolate, you can ask a vet if you need to worry or if the amount should be okay by typing your question into the box at the right. ...
  • Ways to Winterize your Pets
    A Fresh Look at a Boring List It seems each year that the same seasonal pet articles appear. The trouble is, the audience that reads them is the audience that least needs to. In the past I have written them here for this blog, and I continue to writ...
  • Puppy Love
    Hump day is hard enough, right?  Here's a video to get you smiling through the rest of the week. If you have any questions about your pet or have a question to ask a vet , we are on call for you 24/7....
  • Dog Diabetes: Ask the Veterinarian
    I thought we would do something different today.  We receive a lot of questions about canine diabetes mellitus, and it seems to be a commonly confused topic in veterinary medicine for pet owners.  Today I wanted to share with you a portion of a Q&a...

Tags: , , ,

11 Comments

March 23, 2011 at 09:21
 

OMG this story was hysterical!! And what I loved I think the most about it was in order to get it you had to read the entire thing & then the ending hit you & made you laugh!
Great job saving the dog & it started my day off w/ a laugh! I shared it on FB, Twitter & my own blog!

Shannon Cole
Shannon’s Pet-Sitting
“Quality Pet Care in the Comfort of Their Own Home”

PHONE: (847) 987-4322
WEBSITE: http://www.shannonspetsitting.net/
FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sha

March 23, 2011 at 13:35
 

Glad you enjoyed it Shannon and thanks for commenting! Yes, it was quite a funny story in retrospect.

March 24, 2011 at 18:42
 

Oh man – that is just too funny! What a spot to be in though – a little uncomfortable, I imagine! :)

March 25, 2011 at 03:34
 

Hilarious! :-) Well, not for the poor dog…

Jasmine once swallowed a sock (not on purpose). She found it outside and was on her way to bury it when we met one of he buddies, female black lab, named Abbie. Abbie was not the polite kind and in spite of Jasmine’s protests kept trying to steal the sock from her. Jasmine kept hiding it further and further in her mouth …
I never realized what happened, they eventually started playing and I though that Jasmine just gave up on the sock.

It wasn’t until that night when we heard her throwing up. I went to examine the mess. At first sight it looked like she ate another dead mouse somehow. Upon closer examination I realized it was a sock and figured out how it must have happened.

Thank God it came out on its own.

March 25, 2011 at 10:28
 

Jana,

Isn’t it incredible what they can manage to swallow? I can’t imagine swallowing a sock would be anything less than pleasant. The lengths they must go to to protect their toys/treasures!

March 25, 2011 at 15:14
 

Yeah, Jasmine feels quite strongly about her treasures. They ought to get buried! And she was quite little then!

March 26, 2011 at 10:18
 

I have had a lot of chewers but luckily no swallowers. Unless they just chewed the object into such little pieces it would never be recognizable. I do have a beagle that dove head first into a huge pile of horse manure. She had half the pile in her mouth and gone before I could get there to stop her. Vet said not to worry and it too shall pass.

March 28, 2011 at 17:23
 

Hi Ann, thanks for reading and commenting. LOL about your beagle. At least it had been digested and passed through one GI tract, granted much bigger. :-)

March 28, 2011 at 17:54
 

Our guys love munching on horse manure :-)

betty nash
March 28, 2011 at 19:47
 

this is too much! i mean you literally found out too much about this “couple”!

Pet Supplies Rx
May 25, 2011 at 01:07
 

I”m glad it worked out. This reminds me of my pitbull blue. But no mishaps like this so far. (knock wood)