Dog ate chocolate – how much chocolate is dangerous?

dog ate chocolate cake

Below is an example question and answer from a concerned pet parent whose dog ate chocolate. If your dog ate chocolate, you can ask a vet if you need to worry or if the amount should be okay by typing your question into the box at the right.

Pet parent question:

My 90 lb dog ate 4.5 oz of baking cocoa powder chocolate …he ate 3/4 of a chocolate cake. It’s been 1.5 hours, he seems fine. He’s a actually sleeping, heart rate is 80. Should I be worried?

VetLIVE Veterinarian:
Hello,
I have received your question and am doing the calculation right now for you. I will be right back with you.
Best,
Dr. Laci


Hi again,
For a 90 lb dog to eat 4.5 oz of baking cocoa powder absolutely warrants an emergency vet visit. Though he seems fine now, the absorption of the chocolate’s toxic components is delayed if he had food in his GI tract. When it does get absorbed, it will be enough of the toxic chemicals to put him in serious danger, including seizures and tremors that may or may not become life-threatening. I know it is not what you want to hear but if he ate that amount and type of chocolate, he needs to go in. Without veterinary intervention, death is possible.
Best wishes,
Dr. Laci

You may be wondering why chocolate is so bad for dogs. The toxic ingredients in chocolate include caffeine and a chemical called theobromine. Baker’s cocoa is one of the most toxic types of chocolate but no chocolate is safe for pets, so you need a dog chocolate calculator like a VetLive veterinarian to help you out.

In general, the amount of theobromine found in chocolate is small enough such that chocolate can be safely consumed by us as humans. Dogs however metabolize theobromine much more slowly than we do, and can easily consume enough chocolate to cause chocolate poisoning. Caffeine and theobromine are both stimulants of the brain and heart. The clinical signs reflect this and can include hyperactivity, increased heart rate, muscle tremors,  seizures and eventually death within 24 hours.

Check out some related blog posts...

  • Household Substances Can Be Dangerous Not Only to Your Pet, But Also to Your Relationship
    The entertaining chronicles of life as a veterinarian It was several years ago but I remember that night well.  It was 3 AM on a Saturday morning when I was handed a chart for a three-year-old snorting Bulldog name Bennie that was having problems e...
  • Dog Diabetes: Ask the Veterinarian
    I thought we would do something different today.  We receive a lot of questions about canine diabetes mellitus, and it seems to be a commonly confused topic in veterinary medicine for pet owners.  Today I wanted to share with you a portion of a Q&a...
  • Palliative Treatment, II
    Madison's Story Continued from Part 1. There was really no time for the shock of diagnosing Madison with terminal bone cancer to wear off. It was time to act as her veterinarian and guardian. First things first. Amputation is currently a ...
  • Ways to Winterize your Pets
    A Fresh Look at a Boring List It seems each year that the same seasonal pet articles appear. The trouble is, the audience that reads them is the audience that least needs to. In the past I have written them here for this blog, and I continue to writ...

Tags: ,

Comments are closed.