Below is an example question and answer from a concerned pet parent whose dog ate chocolate. If your dog ate chocolate, you can ask a vet if you need to worry or if the amount should be okay by typing your question into the box at the right.
Pet parent question:
My 90 lb dog ate 4.5 oz of baking cocoa powder chocolate …he ate 3/4 of a chocolate cake. It’s been 1.5 hours, he seems fine. He’s a actually sleeping, heart rate is 80. Should I be worried?
I have received your question and am doing the calculation right now for you. I will be right back with you.
For a 90 lb dog to eat 4.5 oz of baking cocoa powder absolutely warrants an emergency vet visit. Though he seems fine now, the absorption of the chocolate’s toxic components is delayed if he had food in his GI tract. When it does get absorbed, it will be enough of the toxic chemicals to put him in serious danger, including seizures and tremors that may or may not become life-threatening. I know it is not what you want to hear but if he ate that amount and type of chocolate, he needs to go in. Without veterinary intervention, death is possible.
You may be wondering why chocolate is so bad for dogs. The toxic ingredients in chocolate include caffeine and a chemical called theobromine. Baker’s cocoa is one of the most toxic types of chocolate but no chocolate is safe for pets, so you need a dog chocolate calculator like a VetLive veterinarian to help you out.
In general, the amount of theobromine found in chocolate is small enough such that chocolate can be safely consumed by us as humans. Dogs however metabolize theobromine much more slowly than we do, and can easily consume enough chocolate to cause chocolate poisoning. Caffeine and theobromine are both stimulants of the brain and heart. The clinical signs reflect this and can include hyperactivity, increased heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures and eventually death within 24 hours.